The lights are on

Review of The Last Story

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 10 Replies |
  • 6 Followers
  • Was looking at the review rating, and thinking to myself:

"8.5 Average, that's not bad, what are people saying who don't like it." 

So I look in the reviews...

...I'm guessing people really love this game then, maybe the average is against the GI review of 6.00 as well. My math hasn't been the greatest ever since I stopped being taught by my Ann Robinson lookalike days at College, but I'm sure even the average of that would be 9.2?

Hmm...I sense a dark presence here...

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_last_story/b/wii/archive/2012/08/14/the-last-story-review.aspx

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Feel as if you were to be reborn now. Breathe as if you were to live forever."

• People really seem to like this game. Out of all the reviews I've seen so far this is the lowest this game has gotten. So I'll go with the majority on this one and give it a try.

• Yea, I'm sad/mad Joe gave it a bad score. So, I canceled my pre-order. But, I do still plan to buy it, whenever the price drops. Plus, it gives me a chance to save up for the other things I was looking to buy.

One died in India. Three was tracked down in Brazil. I am the only one left. I am The Second Musketeer

• I call BS on most of the things stated in that review. Can't say I'm shocked the Last Story got a troll review, people will do anything to discredit modern JRPGs unless they're from certain people. A single spoiler I overheard disproved everything said about the plot, then again the first hours of Tales of Graces F disproved Playstation Magazines comments about the story.

I've given up on trusting mainstream sources for reviews of JRPGs. Kimberly is the only editor here I'd trust to write a review of a JRPG.

Peaceful Days died, Let's Survive 

• I totally agree. Most of the reviewers on here are pretty mainstream in their tastes and have no real outside love for other game genres. JRPGS becoming pushed aside as a niche market these days.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Feel as if you were to be reborn now. Breathe as if you were to live forever."

• You guys do realize that Joe is probably the biggest lover of JRPG's on staff right?

On top of that, have any of you even played the game? I have (I imported from the UK) and it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. I don't think it was bad, but not as great as I thought it was going to be coming from such a high pedigree and with Xenoblade Chronicles being so awesome. I would have given it an 8 that's my opinion; Joe gave it a 6, that's his opinion. Why come down on someone for having a contrarian opinion when you haven't even played the game yet.

• Honestly, the only reason I'm annoyed is because JRPGs are the minority that everyone hates in Video Games, way to feed into that hate even more. I have no problem with Joe Juba's thoughts on it, I ended up hearing a spoiler of the plot for the Last Story and disagree with his thoughts on it, a lot. He's like that person who doesn't know @#$% about something, thinks he can talk about them, and offends those who actually know things on the subject.

Not it'll matter. Real JRPG fans would have learned to look elsewhere for JRPG reviews, like me. I use Gameinformer for general information, and Kotaku for JRPGs, the blog style writing tells me more about it and generally makes it's reasoning easier to understand. Going to Gameinformer for JRPG related things (unless Kimberly is the one writing the article) is like going to the Atlantic for Video Game news, why would you go to an outsider of a subculture for news about it. That's the thing about JRPGs, they're a minority in a minority, a subculture within a subculture.

Joe Juba is an outsider, and that's perfectly okay as he long as he leaves the JRPGs to Kimberly.

Peaceful Days died, Let's Survive 

• Yes. I have played the game. I'm from the UK ~ so I got my hands on it very much earlier. So in regards to that point ~ it's invalid I'm afraid! No...I spent a good amount of time on that game.

• Gaming Warthog:
    Joe Juba is an outsider, and that's perfectly okay as he long as he leaves the JRPGs to Kimberly.

C'mon man, if Kimberly had given the game a 6 people would be complaining about her in a thread like this too. It's just a person's opinion. Joe gets paid to give his opinion on games, it's just his job. It's not Joe's fault that Game Informer is a popular magazine.

• Should I play this?!

"It's that we can't attack, defend, nor distract! At least.. We can see!" ~ Obby the Observer 

• It's not bad, I'd recommend it; just don't go in thinking it's going to be the best JRPG ever like many people seem to think.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)