www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Halo 4 Is not as good as people say.

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 38 Replies |
  • 18 Followers
  • I, myself have loved the Halo series. I have been playing it since Halo one and I have played all of them including the Halo Wars game. I was quite excited about Halo 4, seeing all the trailers, gameplay, and such. I got the game at midnight release; I also got it in the Limited Edition copy. When I started playing it I just played the Campaign. I finished the Campaign on Legendary and I was very very disappointed in the game 343 did not do an awesome job at it. Like I love the looks of it. Although everything else was not too good. The campaign killed the game for me; in all the other Halo’s you were Master Chief. You were John, but at the end it shows what John kind of looks like. So what happens now is that you are not John. That really killed it for me. And John never talks as much as he did in Halo 4. He was known for a man of few words. But *** does he not shut up. The sound design is nice, but for a Halo game it is not as much.

Halo 4 is not even close to being the best Halo ever. 343 didn’t do a good job on keeping the story going. I cannot go back to the game now. I must find other games to play because Halo 4 disappointed me.        

• Please make a blog for discussion of you not like halo 4. No need for a thread like this. Flame wars come from gasoline like this.

I'm a Legendary GI member.

• ShayneDaly:

, but at the end it shows what John kind of looks like. So what happens now is that you are not John. That really killed it for me.  

We must have played different games because no it doesn't.

ShayneDaly:

And John never talks as much as he did in Halo 4. He was known for a man of few words. But *** does he not shut up. The sound design is nice, but for a Halo game it is not as much.      

He's becoming a little more like he was in the books, which is something I think could be good in the coming games. The guy is a great character in the novels and while some scenes came off as awkward and cheesy, I think we'll see it improved. I have no idea what you're saying in the last part.

ShayneDaly:

Halo 4 is not even close to being the best Halo ever. 343 didn’t do a good job on keeping the story going. I cannot go back to the game now. I must find other games to play because Halo 4 disappointed me.        

I'll say Halo 4 isn't the best but it is a dam good game and while 343 had a few hiccups, they did a good job on moving the story forward. That said, if you haven't read Cryptum, Primordium, and the last book in the trilogy that deals with the story of Halo 4-6, then I can see how some might not have liked it. Halo 4 is great game that with some tweaks to the mulitplayer could be even better. It had some issues but I see 343 improving with the next one.

• Halo 4 was by far a better reach out to the Halo community. In Halo 4, Chief talks more to show that he isn't all that "Robotic" and to express his feelings for Cortanna. This was the emotional and great stretch for 343i.

To my understanding, as I beat the game, Chief never showed his face, nor much of anything that ruined him for us. The fact that Chief is slowly releasing he is more human that a tool is a very large gap from "ruining it".

"It's that we can't attack, defend, nor distract! At least.. We can see!" ~ Obby the Observer 

• *Campaign spoilers for those who haven't finished it yet.  Be warned!*

I have to agree with everyone else who has replied thus far and have to disagree with your reasoning (not your overall opinion since we're all entitled to that, but to your support of your opinion) as to why Halo 4 is not as good.  At least, I would like to see better articulation, please.  I concur in that it isn't necessarily the best Halo, but it is a very good ride from start to finish.  I hope you read this because this isn't bashing you at all.

It sounds like your main con is that Chief talks more, which makes him less "you."  I'm not a huge fan of showing his eyes for the Legendary ending either because that ruins the mystique of who he is (but I'm not shy of the fact that I did literally gasp when I saw it!)  However, Chief has never really showed his human side in the past.  Cortana has always been Chief's humanity, ironically, and now that she is deteriorating and less trustworthy, Chief has to step up from a storytelling standpoint, which inherently results in having more dialogue.  In any case, Chief's always had a voice (that is to say, a voice actor) and the only way to make a protagonist as close to the player as possible is to give that character no speaking lines whatsoever.  Gordon Freeman is a great example of that.  In fairness to you Shay, Gordon unfortunately has a face where Chief's has never been fully shown; if we combined no dialogue with no face, it'd be perfect!  Let me know if you can think of a character like that because none are coming to mind and I think there are some out there somewhere.  Maybe in Halo: ODST or Reach?  I can't remember if they speak or not.

I think 343i did a great job with the Cortana/Chief drama portion of the story.  There were genuine, well-directed moments when your heart hurts for Cortana's situation.  You wonder if she is the only "person" Chief could ever love and now that she isn't with him you feel his lonliness (marked by significantly less dialogue, by the way).  This is the part of Halo 4's campaign that sticks with me most.  But here is where I believe Halo 4 lacks:  unfortunately, the Forerunner side of things is much murkier and typical, at least if no one watches the cutscenes from the terminals and even then is still pretty basic.  I think I missed a whole lot in my one playthrough, so I'll be focusing more in my subsequent ones.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I didn't feel completely threatened by the Didact.  He doesn't have memorable motivations for me and ends up being your kind of run-of-the-mill super villain bent on destroying humanity (albeit with walrus teeth).  I wish 343i had spotlighted Chief and Cortana for their ad campaign instead of the "ancient evil" of the Forerunners simply because their storyline is richer and more fulfilling.

I actually enjoy fighting the Prometheans and thought it was a cool bit of trivia that the knights are ancient humans.  But to be fighting against Covenant creatures again is a drag, feeling almost like 343i thought there needed to be a second adversary, since the first Halo trilogy had the Flood (which I actually liked).  It's unsatisfying to be fighting even an offshoot of the main Covenant.  Maybe it would have been fun and nostalgic to bring them back at the end of this trilogy, but to be fighting them so soon after making peace the last time is kind of boring, even if Chief has been in stasis for years and things changed.  I would have preferred more Promethean variants instead.

But for the whole story package not being great, and fighting more Covies, I had a blast "being" Master Chief.  It's this entry that finally made me feel like a super soldier where lives were at stake and truly dependent on my actions.  The live-action "Forward Unto Dawn" series had a major hand in conveying that sense of importance Master Chief has in Earth's defense. 

The gunplay is basically untouched and I like the changes to multiplayer.  Call of Duty does it better, but the focus on gaining XP instead of an overall rank is a much better choice, in my opinion, considering today's multiplayer landscape.  Plus, I like knowing I can begin with a spartan that is mine, both in looks and loadout, and not a cookie-cutter avatar.  Add onto that top notch voice acting, the best visuals I've ever seen in a video game and simply the exciting start of another Halo trilogy, and Halo 4 is a quality entry in the very capable hands of 343i.  They have my trust and I can't wait to see where the story goes.  I'm sorry it disappointed you, but 343i did do a great overall job.

• Treestump:

ShayneDaly:

, but at the end it shows what John kind of looks like. So what happens now is that you are not John. That really killed it for me.  

We must have played different games because no it doesn't.

You did play a 'different' game, if you finish the game on Legendary, 343i gives you a glimpse of the Chief's eyes. And that's why I always play Halo on Legendary.

• OMG you see his eyes...mind blown...I will never be able to relate to this game again.  

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

• It's a great game. I'm enjoying the crap out of it but then again I can appreciate things that took lots of hard work to make.

Whatever peels your orange

• It's better than reach

• That's what i'm talking about. Showing his eyes is not good!

• Never said Reach was better.

• What kind of drugs are you on?

• Halo can't go on forever. Well, at least John's story won't. 343 is showing his human side as the end draws near for him. I believe 343 will end chief with Halo 6. Anyway, my opinion.

• I just finished the campaign earlier tonight and during about 95% of it I was totally bored.  

It felt less like I was advancing through a story/world and more like I was being dropped into a series of shooting gallerys via conveniently placed portals.

I'm still not entirely sure what the story was about besides Cortana being phased out of the series.

And how exactly did Cortana save Master Chief from the nuke explosion?  Put him inside some protective shell?

• Well, that's just you not liking the new story or not wanting to see the real John. You didn't include any real gameplay examples, or anything about multiplayer. Mario Balotelli is crying. Your argument is invalid.

Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 123