www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

SUPER Street Fighter 4

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 521 Replies |
  • 11 Followers
  • - Eight (or possibly ten) characters added (T. Hawk, Deejay and newcomer Juri confirmed - Guy, Dudley, Makoto and Ibuki rumored)

- New Ultra Combos (Shippu-Jinrai-Kyaku!!!)

- rebalanced characters.

- hopefully a new soundtrack...just sayin'

• http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-super-street/57018

• I can't wait for this to come out, I have been playing 4 a lot recently and have been happy that I haven't played many shoto players.

• I want Charlie.

• Pretty amazing that this is not DLC.  They're blaming that on the "rebalanced characters." They also said it won't cost the same as a full retail game (ODST, anyone?), and that there would be an unspecified reward for people who own both the original SFIV and SSFIV.

• @PunjabiDog

Considering trying to make this as DLC, from the devs standpoint. You need to go back into the code, change all the characters, add the new ones (all possible ten new ones), new ultras are being added, possible new music, stages, etc. See where I'm going with this? That's a lot.

Or you can just read this: www.destructoid.com/guide-how-to-stfu-about-super-street-fighter-iv-150353.phtml

• @Marc Storck

I truly understand all the points in the destructoid article, but I still find this trend in video games to be annoying.  The devs need to quit half-assing it and do it right the first time.  They either didn't know the characters were unbalanced, which indicates poor quality testing, or they did know the characters were unbalanced, which indicates they didn't give a *** because they could always go back and fix it later.  

Capcom has a bad habit of doing this.  Resident Evil 5 versus mode is another example of how they screw their customers to make a few more bucks.  It should have been included on disc.

I'll probably sell my SFIV disc, which will not fetch more than a few dollars, and pick up the SSFIV whenever it releases.  I'm guessing that the rebalancing of characters will mean the online modes for each game will not be compatible with each other, thereby fracturing the community.  Way to go, Capcom...

• PunjabiDog:

@Marc Storck

I truly understand all the points in the destructoid article, but I still find this trend in video games to be annoying.  The devs need to quit half-assing it and do it right the first time.  They either didn't know the characters were unbalanced, which indicates poor quality testing, or they did know the characters were unbalanced, which indicates they didn't give a *** because they could always go back and fix it later.

I want to bring up one point, was already said in the article, but I'll say it again for emphasis...

Sports games make their previous versions worthless every year and nobody stamps their feet and cries for their mommy about it

That, and throughout all the iterations of Street Fighter II, no one said ANYTHING. Maybe it's a fighting game thing, but everything they are putting in more than warrants a new game in my option.

• The issue of balance in fighting games doesn't necessarily stem from poor quality testing.  Keep in mind that once a new fighter enters the market, a huge group of people purchase it, all of them looking to push the boundaries of the gameplay mechanics.  Then hardcore fans discuss strategies with friends and online on sites like Dustloop, Shoryuken, and Tekken Zaibatsu.  Try as fighter devs might, there are almost always going to be issues that fly under the radar until the masses pick them out.

Street Fighter IV is also a great product in and of itself, so to hear about so many improvements and additions at a reduced price point?  How can any fighter fan NOT be excited about this?  Compare this to Virtua Fighter 4's subsequent rerelease, VF4 Evolution, which also featured more characters (though not nearly as many), and loads of new content for $20.  It's comparable to DLC for a game like Fallout 3 when you think about it; you're getting a lot more replay value for a little more money.

• I keep telling myself that I'm going to get back into SFIV but end up procrastinating and distracted by something else.

• YAY! I'm glad they're updating the game, but it does bother me until I see the price for it; I'm not rich, and Capcom should know this. But this gives me a great reason to pull out my arcade stick out again. :D

• I call foul on this being disc based rather than DLC...I'm not buying that the content of this update is just too extensive for DLC. Does anybody remember a game called Burnout Paradise? It was quite the extensive game when it first dropped and the DLC of that game made it 4x more extensive at least. However they did make it convenient for those who didn't own the game before the updates by releasing the Ultimate Box Edition. At least there was an option given. and at that we're talking an Open World Online Racing Activity game versus a 2.5-D Fighting Game.

• PunjabiDog:

@Marc Storck

Capcom has a bad habit of doing this.  Resident Evil 5 versus mode is another example of how they screw their customers to make a few more bucks.  It should have been included on disc.

I'll probably sell my SFIV disc, which will not fetch more than a few dollars, and pick up the SSFIV whenever it releases.  I'm guessing that the rebalancing of characters will mean the online modes for each game will not be compatible with each other, thereby fracturing the community.  Way to go, Capcom...

You can balance test all you want but you can never have enough balance testers to try everything that people are going to come up with. If you play rts games you will know this is especially true. Like I'm sure back in the vanilla days of company of heroes the developers never thought that someone would spam builder units as an unbeatable strategy.

• What are you talking about? The soundtrack is easily the best part of Street Fighter 4. I will shoryuken your ass back to next tuesday if you want to be talking that jive.

• While I'm sad that the leaked list of characters doesn't include Alex, I'll buy it on day one! The new additions and revisions sound like they'll draw me in for a few more hours of entertainment.

Page 1 of 35 (522 items) 12345»