www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening
Create/Edit Post
Write your reply below. Click the "Post" button to submit your message.
  •      Many of us want to see a new Elder Scrolls V; and frankly it is hard to believe that we'll never see one again. As immersive and entertaining as the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was, I still never forgot that I was playing a game; Oblivion just never completely pulled me into the Cyrodillic Province of Tamriel, but I believe in Bethesda's ability to retread on their mistakes and resubmit a more polished and unparalleled universe.

Allow me to begin with realism, several cases could be made on just how terrible the realism of this game is. the politics and law of this game are sketchy at best. Guards are omniscient, somehow the world didn't seem to show any sign of trouble from their lack of an emperor, (save Kvatch), and dead bodies of fellow bandits mean nothing to the cave-dwellers we've come to know and love. Now, it may seem nit-picky of me, but I feel that the NPCs just weren't alive. The NPC's all felt and sounded the same, real life didn't seem to jump out from them. Some of this can be fixed by simply making your characters skills more versatile; Perhaps guards DO know immediately when a crime has been commited, but with a sufficient speechcraft skill, one could lie their way out of the fine/jailtime, and perhaps bandits will notice dead bodies, unless your character has a high enough sneak skill to hide the bodies in the dark.

Another fatal flaw of Oblivion was its feel for weaponry. Personally, I preferred the long blade and short blade skills to be separate as well as blunt weapons and axes because, it helped ease monotony in Morrowind. While playing with combat, I felt that it didn't matter which skill I selected, because almost every weapon felt the same save for attack speed, weapon length, and damage. The very least that could be done was an implementation of several different animations for the weapon swing animations and character stance animations. It makes no sense at all for a novice of blade to have the same stance as a master. Not only would I feel more awesome carrying my blade in some funky style, I would feel even more involved with my character. Basically, weapon combat was too monotonous, and I feel that even some simple animations could provide a refreshing change in the Elder Scrolls.

While not a flaw perse, I felt that the skills in the game should be more intermixable in their applications; particularly with spells and combat. For example, archers can resupply their arrow stock from fallen enemies, but why not take it a step further? An archer who has acquired a sufficient skill level in mysticism should be able to cast his telekinesis skill to open an enemies inventory from afar and retrieve his arrows from a still living target. I could list to you all sorts of combinations for different skills and I will if this garners enough attention and someone cares enough to hear about it, but even listing takes time, it would take Bethesda an incredible amount of effort to implement skill combinations such as this but lets face it, that would be pretty sweet, and give every skill, weapon, and most importantly, gamer, as unique of an experience as the personalities of that individual.

Please include any other observations you want to this; I want to hear about them, and get a better scope of what maybe someone else who plays differently may want to have included or maybe removed from the next game.

•