The lights are on
Most Welcome To watch 28th June 2013 at Dubai.The
WBC Minimumweight Championship will be on the line this Friday night in
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, as the champion Xiong Zhao Zhong defends
his title against No. 1-ranked contender Denver Cuello.
Cuello and Zhong will face off on June 28 at the Dubai Boxing Showdown
at the World Trade Centre in Dubai, Gulf News reported.
“I’ve waited for the past three years for this moment. I’ve always
wanted to fight a top contender and now finally Dubai has made my dream
come true,” Cuello said in Dubai, Thursday,He added he had been training
for the past eight weeks now. "I feel I can beat him,” he said.
Cuello, 27, is the WBC 2012 silver belt champion. He is sometimes
referred to as the next Manny Pacquiao due to his strength and
resemblance to the Filipino icon.
He has a record of 33 wins with
21 knockouts, four losses and six draws.For his part, Zhong, 30, said
he also felt good about his chances of defending his crown."June 28 is
going to be the most important date for boxing in China as I intend
to retain my WBC crown,” he said.
Zhong had scored a unanimous decision over Mexico’s Javier Martinez
Resendiz in Kunming last November. He has a record of 20 20 wins,
including 11 knockouts, four losses and one draw.
WBC strawweight titleholder Xiong Zhao Zhong will make his long-awaited
mandatory title defense against No. 1 contender Denver Cuello on June
28 in the United Arab Emirates city of Dubai, said Cuello's manager,
Aljoe Jaro. Jaro tells RingTV.com that the contracts are signed but the
official venue has yet to be decided upon. The fight is believed to be
the first world title bout ever in the Middle Eastern city.
Cuello (33-4-6, 21 knockouts) of Cabatuan, Philippines, has been on the
sidelines waiting for his title opportunity since knocking out Mexican
Ganigan Lopez last May in a final elimination bout. Cuello then became
the mandatory challenger for Japan's Kazuto Ioka, who held the title at
the time. Instead, Ioka faced countryman Akira Yaegashi in a unification
bout in June before moving up to 108 pounds and vacating.
Instead of placing Cuello in against the next available contender to
fill the vacancy, WBC president Jose Sulaiman requested that Cuello step
aside to allow Xiong (20-4-1, 11 KOs), who was rated by the WBC at 108
pounds but not at 105, fight Mexican journeyman Javier Martinez Resendiz
last November in China.