www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

Rio de Janerio gets the 2016 Olympics

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 32 Replies |
  • 2 Followers
  • aka, lol Chicago

The International Olympic Committee announce the host city of the 2016 Olympics is Rio de Janeiro

Four cities -- Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo -- are competing for the job.

At left, a sculpture at IOC headquarters in Lausanne.The cities lobbying to host the games are hopeful for an economic and status boost, and have spent years preparing their bids.

Chicago is seeking to bring the Summer Olympics back to the United States for the first time since the 1996 Atlanta Games.At left, a rendering of Chicago's planned Olympic Island.

The Windy City has been promoting its plan for holding compact games on its downtown lakefront.At left, an artist's rendering for the proposed $316 million, 80,000-seat Olympic Stadium.

Rival Rio de Janeiro, meanwhile, is arguing to bring the Olympics to South America for the first time. At left, Rio's Maracana Stadium.

"We think we have a very strong technical project," Carlos Roberto Osorio, chief executive of Rio's bid, told the Associated Press.At left, a rendering of Rio's proposed Olympic stadium for water sports.

An artist's rendering for Rio's proposed Joao Havelange Stadium.

Madrid, which is bidding for the second straight time after losing to London in the race for the 2012 games, also believes it is well placed to win.At left, IOC members visited Madrid in May and toured part of the infrastructure that could host the 2016 Games there.

At left, a rendering of Madrid's proposed Olympic Velodrome. The venue would have a capacity of 6,000 people.

An artist rendering of Madrid's proposed Aquatic CenterConstruction of the venue began in 2004, and is scheduled to be completed by 2011.

"We have worked extremely hard on every aspect of our bid and all the hard yards have put us in a strong position for the final run to the finishing line," bid leader Mercedes Coghen, at left, told the Associated Press.

Tokyo, which held the Olympics in 1964, has the backing of Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama. Some 5,000 people walked on Tokyo's landmark bridge in March, left, to support the Japanese capital's bid.

Tokyo, which held the Olympics in 1964, has the backing of Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama. Some 5,000 people walked on Tokyo's landmark bridge in March, left, to support the Japanese capital's bid.

At left, an artist's rendering of Tokyo's planned Olympic Stadium. The futuristic 100,000-seat stadium would sit on a pier in Tokyo Bay at the center of the games.

Tokyo bid organizers say 23 of its proposed 34 venues already exist and that land has been secured for the 11 new facilities.At left, an artist's rendering of the proposed Tennis Center.

At left, an artist's rendering of Tokyo's planned Tatsumi International Swimming Center.

"We offer the safest, securest, most risk-free and most dependable bid," Tokyo bid leader Dr. Ichiro Kono, at left, told the Associated Press. "This is especially critical considering today's uncertain environment."

What may prove decisive for the IOC is the appearance in Copenhagen of government leaders. Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, shown at center in Geneva with other Brazilian officials June 6, and Spanish King Juan Carlos have announced they will be going. Tokyo has invited Crown Prince Naruhito.

• Well really which city would you rather go to?

Realtalk

• I'd like to see an African city get the olympics once. They haven't hosted a single one.

• lol. I don't blame them. Rio's a much nicer looking place.

I'm not back! P.S. Blade still sucks. Also, Gamefreaks cannot compete with my love for Zelda!

• I want to go to Carnaval sometime in the next few years.  Hopefully I don't get fooled by a trap.

• I'm kind of happy that Chicago got dogged.  Nothing against the city, but we really don't need to host an Olympic Games every 8 years.  Good for Brazil, and good for South America.

Got it, bro?

• LOL, ESPN is so mad Chicago didn't get the Olympics.

I'm looking forward to laughing at the veiled and not-so-veiled xenophobia and jingoism that'll come from the media.

• Chicago would be out in the first round

I'm better than you.

• I'm laughing at all the pictures of the open mouth, bug eyed and shocked Chicagoans standing in that plaza.  Honestly, Chicago?  An Olympic host city?  I never thought they had a chance, and I can't believe they had the audacity to think they did.  I mean, Chicago?  Come on.

mind over mana

• Please people if the Olympics were to be held anywhere it should be Hogwarts.

• Tanooki:

I'm laughing at all the pictures of the open mouth, bug eyed and shocked Chicagoans standing in that plaza.  Honestly, Chicago?  An Olympic host city?  I never thought they had a chance, and I can't believe they had the audacity to think they did.  I mean, Chicago?  Come on.

They were supposed to host the games in 1904, but St. Louis stole it from them in the last minute. When you're getting beaten by St. Louis it's time to do some soul-searching.

• Throw me another one:

I want to go to Carnaval sometime in the next few years.  Hopefully I don't get fooled by a trap.

I hope your trapdar is good enough to protect against that sort of thing...

• Even though it be sweet to have the Olympics just driving distance from where I live they went with the better choice on this. Good for Rio de Janeiro.

• SNL from last night had a funny bit on this. Yes, SNL, that is where I get all my political news from.

"You're annoying and you cry about everything, like sending a message to someone on game informer whining about it."

<3

• Almo:

Throw me another one:

I want to go to Carnaval sometime in the next few years.  Hopefully I don't get fooled by a trap.

I hope your trapdar is good enough to protect against that sort of thing...

South Beach and Key West have honed my trap sense.  Carnaval will be the biggest test for sure though, like Spidey trying to find Venom.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 123