www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Should Naughty Dog Revive Spyro?

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 5 Replies |
  • 2 Followers
  • Many of us still want a comeback of the original Spyro. I feel like a platforming game may work for him, but it's time for him to evolve...

WHEN DARKNESS FALLS, DARKNESS WILL RISE

• Okay, I see that I was able to make a new topic, so...

I'm thinking someone should bring back one of the earlier models of Spyro (heck, it can be both if they can come up with an excuse). The thing is, we've known Spyro to lead off to a movie path. Seriously, you remember Spyro: Shadow Legacy? That was supposed to be a movie in a game. Seriously, Shadow Legacy was supposed to be the original Spyro's first interactive movie!!!!

[User Posted Image]

But then the game was so bad that TLoS came out to resolve the shattered rock that was Spyro: Shadow Legacy, even though Dawn of the Dragon got a 4.

[User Posted Image]

However, I'm noticing that the right company to make a new Spyro game should be a company who's experienced with smacking Hollywood movie elements into a playable disc, and not that many companies have that experience. Insomniac is no longer capable of doing such a thing; they put WAY too much humor in Ratchet and Clank, and Spyro is no longer on the humor path.

So who do I think should make the new game? Well, take a look:

[User Posted Image]

Surprised that I picked THIS company? Well, to be honest, it really only makes sense. Spyro's been going in a direction that aims more to the cinematic tones, in a sense that his games focus more on hope constantly concealed in a miserable, dark period of time (like the medieval era).

[User Posted Image]

And, you know, Spyro wasn't entirely meant for that at first, but he got dark because his game-makers realized they needed a cover-up after the failure of THIS game:

[User Posted Image]

However, the transition allowed Spyro to evolve so he can catch up with the modern world, which was focusing more on action and thrills, and the combat moves introduced in every Spyro game, starting from Shadow Legacy, were to FOCUS on action.

[User Posted Image][User Posted Image]

And, you know, I believe that Spyro's no longer fit for a retro collect-a-thon like he was in the old games. At least Naughty Dog has been going in the cinematic direction since they decided to make Jak II more actiony and cinematic, though, so they KNOW what a cinematic action game should look like.

So, yeah, basically, Spyro wasn't the only one to become suddenly dark like that.

Also, I noticed how there were some free-roam RPG elements that were put into Spyro: Shadow Legacy. Naughty Dog actually did free-roam before with all of their Jak & Daxter games, but they also seem to design some good free-roam multiplayer maps for Uncharted, so I'm pretty sure they'd have a good idea on how to design a free-roam world if they decided to do another franchise that focuses on free-roaming.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

Also, Naughty Dog doesn't have TOO much experience with RPG elements or anything like that, but I think they'd have good ideas on those, too. For starters, Jak II and Jak 3 had you go to random places in HUD worlds so you can do specific tasks for others, which is what a lot of RPGs nowadays do as well. Also, some RPGs have crafting mechanics and character-upgrade mechanics. The Last Of Us wasn't necessarily an RPG, but it had SOME of those elements.

[User Posted Image]
    [User Posted Image]

And Naughty Dog also knows how to set the mood for many parts of their PS3 games. They always know how to put the right amount of environmental effects or how to slap on the right faces just to tell a sad scene or a "HOLY $#!T, YOU'RE IN DANGER!!!!!!!" scene.

[User Posted Image]
    [User Posted Image]

And while Spyro: Shadow Legacy was never capable of showing any types of emotion, The Legend of Spyro makes the effort to match facial expressions with the tone of the scenes in THEIR games.

So, what I'm thinking is that, some way, somehow, Naughty Dog should bring back the original Spyro and make up some story for HIM in which he's the chosen one to save the world or something. Naughty Dog should design another kingdom for Spyro, since the Dragon Realms was overused and that the other two known realms have lost potential for comebacks (seriously, I have NO IDEA how Nintendo manages to use the same Mushroom Kingdom for over 30 years), but they should also bring back THIS thing to establish a bigger story:

[User Posted Image]

All Naughty Dog needs to do is to make that thing become the key to an ancient chamber, make gems come back as money to buy health-restorers, try to figure out how to make Spyro that humorous son of a gun that he was in the earlier games, and Spyro's set for a new game!

I'm only saying this because Naughty Dog is continuing a PS3 franchise. Since they're doing so, I'm thinking that they've run out of ideas, but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to revive older franchises.

• I grew up a spyro fan from since its inception on playstation, I was disappointed at the latest version that I played for xbox 360 (graphics were not all their) but i think its still a great game and i've spent hours playing it and it deserves a quality remake. Platformers are a dying breed, being a die hard banjo kazooie fan (great remake for the xbox 360) I believe this game has the power to follow suit as a great platformer.

Check Out XboxCulture.com/raffles - July 2014 Giveaway is Sniper Elite 3 & (2) $50 Gift Cards!

• Solarplex:

I grew up a spyro fan from since its inception on playstation, I was disappointed at the latest version that I played for xbox 360 (graphics were not all their) but i think its still a great game and i've spent hours playing it and it deserves a quality remake. Platformers are a dying breed, being a die hard banjo kazooie fan (great remake for the xbox 360) I believe this game has the power to follow suit as a great platformer.

He's going to have to fit the modern world of gaming now, though, meaning that Spyro would need to be more cannon on combat and RPG mechanics. I think the fly anytime concept should still be in there, but that'll mean that the traditional platforming would be obliterated. That's the thing about Dawn of the Dragon; the developers were trying to be good guys in preserving some of the older platforming, but they didn't know what they were entirely doing either, did they?

So, yeah, Spyro should be able to fly anytime, but the traditional platforming won't be completely destroyed; I'm thinking that there should be rescue missions, in which Spyro would need to save kidnapped hatchlings from these slave-bound sanctuaries. Since the hatchlings would be then paired up with Spyro, since the hatchlings would have the limits Spyro had in Spyro the Dragon, and since there'd be sections in which Spyro would need to separate from the hatchlings or vice versa, the hatchling concept gives an excuse to bring back the old platforming we know and love, even though that wouldn't be the main focus of the game anymore.

• But, seriously guys, what do you think?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)