The lights are on
Power Member - Level 10
Top 10 Sidekicks
Protagonists get all the glory. They kill the bad guys, save the girl and get there mug posted all over the box art. However, it's the unsung heroes I want to focus on today. Here are the Top 10 Sidekicks who stuck it out despite the ingratitude.
10. Sheva: The Resident Evil series has had some problems introducing relevant characters to the franchise as of late, but they didn't drop the cure when they revealed Chris's new partner in RE5, BSAA agent and kick-ass female Sheva Alomar. She's smart, more than able in battle and she can wield a longbow with the best of them. Near the end of the game, Jill tries to resume her former place next to Redfield (the man can punch a boulder to death after all), but not even Jill Valentine could make Chris forget his new partner in zombie genocide, Sheva.
9. Pey'J: For those of you who haven't played the grossly underrated Beyond Good & Evil, shame on you. It's out on Xbox Live and PSN, so whatta you waiting for!? While green-lipped Jade steals the spotlight, her trusty man-pig-mechanic-uncle accompanies her for most of the journey, and, despite the fact that every bone in my body should find him annoying; I was somehow endeared to the loveable loser. His jet boots come in pretty handy as well, but we try not to dwell on that too much.
8. Tails: If you think about it, Tails kind of renders Sonic obsolete. He is as fast as the hedgehog, his spin attack is just as effective and oh yeah, he can fly. Case closed. In true team sport fashion, the little bugger even picks Sonic up occasionally, to carry him over obstacles and whatnot. He also happens to be the cutest animal this side of 1990. Sega has had terrible luck introducing any semi-cool characters into Sonic's world, and the first of them is still the best of them.
7. Luigi: Luigi doesn't get enough credit. From day one this unheralded little brother has stood toe-to-toe with Mario, helping him rescue his girlfriend from a terrifying lizard demon. What does he get in return? A few measly cameos and a trip to a haunted house. Yeah, thanks bro. In fact, the only real time they had any differences in ability, Mario 2, he was superior to his red-shirted brother, and I have the feeling he's a better plumber too. So who's really more important?
6. Elika: In terms of pure usefulness, Elika would have to take the cake. If you've never played the Prince of Persia reboot, allow me to sum up her abilities: SHE MAKES YOU IMMORTAL. Yeah, that's right. Every time you "die", she just reverts time to an earlier state when you were, you know, not dead. Her magic lets you perform incredible feats of mobility, stand heads-up with any monster in the world and negates the need for those pesky "lives". Yeah, Elika rocks.
5. Arbiter: In the first Halo, and Reach, Covenant Elites were terrifying enemies capable of forcing a respawn in seconds. So when Halo 2 rolled around and you got to play as one, well, that was something special. Master Chief is among the most iconic characters in gaming, but the story behind the Arbiter and his dealings with both Chief and his people was something extraordinary. He can totally turn invisible too, so that's pretty cool.
4. Dom: The epitome of the faithful sidekick, the player first meets Dom when he saves your sorry ass from prison. That is the first of roughly 6,428,722 times he will go on to save your life again throughout the Gears of War series. Even when things get tough, and extremely personal, for Dom, he chooses to fight on for Marcus. The finale in Gears 3 cements his legacy as one of the greatest sidekicks ever. (Spoiler: He does something awesome.)
3. Elena: Playing Uncharted is like watching a particularly good action movie, sprinkled with some healthy romance and comedy. While Nathan Drake is certainly an awesome character, it's Elena who truly endeared herself to our hearts, and is the only thing keeping Drake from being a complete A-hole. She is cute, funny, smart, able and, above all, selfless. She is always willing to do the right thing, and always more than happy to point out when Drake is doing the opposite.
2. Garrus: Mass Effect has no shortage of awesome characters, but if I could only bring one person into intergalactic war with me, it's going to be Garrus Vakarian. Not even getting his face blown half to bits could slow this Turian down, and he always has a witty remark for any situation. Even cooler is watching how your choices as Shepard affect the impressionable Garrus, and how his actions become increasingly more like yours. That's a sidekick!
1. Zero: Very few sidekicks are as much cooler than their hero buddies as Zero. While he (for some reason) takes a back seat to Mega Man, he is clearly so much more awesome than the Blue Bomber, and this is coming from a die-hard Mega Man fan. He has a sweet laser sword, his Buster Cannon charges twice as much as X's, and he can charge enemy weapons! But, despite his unquestioned prowess, he takes it onto himself to help Mega Man every time he needs it, without worrying about the spotlight. That's why Zero is the number one sidekick ever.