The lights are on
Veteran Member - Level 11
A few weeks ago I posted a blog
titled Whose Line Is It Anyway. It was somewhat similar to my Guess That Game
feature, but instead of trying to guess a game based on a series of clues,
Whose Line Is It Anyway listed 25 different video game quotes, each from a
different game, and the point was to try and guess the character and game the
quote was from. It seemed to do fairly well. Surprisingly well, I'd say. So, I
decided to try it again, but this time all of the quotes are from characters
that are considered villains or antagonists. Boo. Hiss. Oh come on...every good
game has to have a villain.
I'll warn you in advance...I think this is a lot more
challenging than the previous episode.
At first look, it would appear I forgot to include the
answers. Alas, they are there. I use the same trick I use with the Guess that
The answers are there, however the font is white so the text
appears invisible. In order to view the answer, all you have to do is highlight
the text by clicking and holding the cursor on the text and dragging the cursor
over each clue. This is an extremely easy process that most of you are
undoubtedly familiar with. Oh, as a reminder - if you're viewing the GI website
with the lights off, obviously this isn't going to work since the font color is
reversed. I recommend turning the lights on when viewing this blog.
So, why video game
The truth is, I absolutely love video game quotes. When I
first started blog herding a few years back, I ended every single episode with
a different video game quote. Perhaps it's the writer in me or maybe the gamer
You don't really think about it, but our video game
characters "speak" some fascinating lines of dialogue. It helps us
get to know the character and develop a relationship with them. But when you
think about it...that character didn't really voice those lines, obviously.
That means a writer or video game developer or some other human component
created every line of dialogue.
When you think about some of the quotes that everybody is
familiar with - from "But our princess is in another castle" to
"The cake is a lie"...we associate these phrases with a particular
game. They invoke this alternate sense of reality and have meaning to us. I'm
fascinated by that. I just love video game quotes.
I randomly picked 25 quotes from 25 different games that are
some of the more popular games you'll find. You know what to do now, so get to
stepping. Or should I say, get to guessing.
Video Game Quotes
1. "My powers...gone. My empire...shrinking. My huge
cake...never got a slice."
Answer: Bowser, Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. "When I'm gone, they'll just find another monster. They
have to, because they have to justify their wages."
Answer: Dutch van der Linde, Red Dead Redemption
3. "You've served your purpose. You may die now."
Answer: Liquid Snake, Metal Gear Solid
4. "The Lord forgives everything, but I'm just a prophet... so
I don't have to. Amen."
Answer: Father Comstock, Bioshock Infinite
5. "The right man in the wrong place can make all the
difference in the world."
Answer: G-Man, Half-Life 2: Episode Two
6. "Who do you think you are, boy? You're nothing but a
filthy, cast-off little beggar. You're not fit to touch these objects."
Answer: Katherine Marlowe, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
7. "We're at war. No one wants to admit it but Humanity's
under attack. One very specific man might be all that stands between Humanity
and the greatest threat of our brief existence."
Answer: The Illusive Man, Mass Effect 2
8. "Your entire life has been a mathematical error... a
mathematical error I'm about to correct!"
Answer: GLaDOS, Portal
9. "Can I have his helmet?"
Answer: Grunt (Unggoy), Halo CE
10. "You don't know what I'm capable of."
Answer: David, The Last of Us
11. "We created a world of peace, a world of prosperity. A
world that lives in the shadow and safety of my mountain, a mountain that has
come to be the absolute measure of strength and power. Now, on this day, that
power is to be tested."
Answer: Zeus, God of War III
12. "Hush, little baby, don't say a word...Momma's gonna kill
for you the whole damn world."
Answer: Harley Quinn, Batman Arkham City
13. "You are a terrible guest. I must teach you some
Answer: Baron Flynt, Borderlands
14. "The world is a diagonal... I am the balancing point."
Answer: Vaas, Far Cry 3
15. "The tyranny of the Gods is ended! We shall be their
puppets no more! The freedom for which we have longed is at hand!"
Answer: Vayne Carudas Solidor, Final Fantasy XII
16. "You're the first humans to ever desecrate this palace
with your presence."
Answer: Myrrah, Gears of War 2
17. "You're right, Elias, I'm not a Ghost... I'm the man
that hunts them, and sends them back to the other side!"
Answer: Gabriel T. Rorke, Call of Duty Ghosts
18. "It's been a while, boy. You have done well to sneak
into my fortress and wriggle your way all the way up here. I suppose the least
I can do is commend you for your reckless courage."
Answer: Ganondorf, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
19. "Growing up in rural Georgia, you're taught not to
waste. It's how I was raised and how I raised my boys. Now, you've got monsters
roaming around that do nothing but eat people! And for what? To continue to rot
until they eat some more!"
Answer: Brenda, The Walking Dead Season One Episode 2
20. "Because frankly I'm rich enough to do whatever the ####
I want and you're poor enough not to ask me any #### stupid questions. Now I mean
that as a friend. Namaste."
Answer: Devin Weston, GTA V
21. "Behold. These lifeless keys used to be full of power.
United with the hearts of their masters..."
Answer: Master Xehanort, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
22. "...on this day, we stand united once more. On this day,
those driven to divide us will hear our voice! On this day, we shall act as
one, and we shall be ignored no more! Defenders of the Helghast dream, now is
Answer: Scolar Visari, Killzone
23. "Now I will have my revenge on Umbrella, and the world
will burn in an inferno of hate!"
Answer: James Marcus, Resident Evil 0
24. "You know that I control the galaxy. It's foolish to
come against me. You will die just like your father."
Answer: Andross, Star
25. "Your future, the future of our race ends here!"
Answer: Challus Mercer, Dead Space
Hope you enjoyed this feature. I'm not sure if I'll do this
monthly like I do Guess that Gamer, but I'll almost certainly blog about video
game quotes again in the future.