Operation Enterprise Aircraft Carrier - Days 2 and 3 - Noobtubin8er Blog - www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Operation Enterprise Aircraft Carrier - Days 2 and 3

What follows is the continuing documentation of the construction of a USS Enterprise CVN-65 replica in Minecraft on the Xbox 360. It should be noted before going further that I am no US Navy expert and I do not have access to any ship's blueprints or construction information. I have the internet, Excel, Minecraft, and good friends. To view the starting process and day one construction, please visit the link below:

Day 1

Day 2
With principal construction of the outline of the top deck completed during day one, it is time to turn to a little detail work and some problem solving. While on my lunch break, I opened my plan file in Excel and starting looking over the general outline of the flight deck and compared it with pictures of models of the Enterprise, taken from various angles. Based on these pictures, I use my Excel spreadsheet and laid out the landing and takeoff assistance lines. Using the same technique I used on my outline of the flight deck, I determined exactly which cells needed to be filled and determined the color they should be. Additionally, I decided that the outlines of the elevators need to show some kind of caution, so I opted to use alternating yellow and red, warning people of the very steep drop off.

With the paint details sorted out, I decided to begin working on the plans for the tower. Unfortunately, this is something of a complicated issue as it has numerous levels both above and below the flight deck. Determining the exact layout will need to take place within the game so placement can be appropriately determine to maximize space. Additionally, my knowledge of the interior of the carrier is extremely limited and the internet has not provided much assistance on this front. I decided that many of the interior decisions will be made in-game and will probably not be completely representative of the real ship, but we shall see how it progresses.

In-game, I am joined by my friend Delancey the Procrastinator who was unaware of the existence of this project. But, he takes construction direction well and dug right into the situations at hand. First, I had to solve my error from day one whereby I miscounted somewhere and my lines did not come together where they should. Luckily, the error is found quickly and the correction is not too extensive. Unfortunately, I quickly discover another error. Day one required some estimate on my part with regards to height (due to limited access to my plans). My guess had been two blocks too high. However, upon reviewing the situation, I determined that an extra two blocks did not adversely affect the appearance and would hopefully be beneficial when it comes time to frame the crew cabins. With this in mind, I made some minor changes in the vertical curvature of the ship to account for the extra two spaces.

Using white and yellow wools as well as glow stones, the take-off and landing guide lines are added to the top of the deck and the red and yellow color is added to the outline of the flight elevators. With the details filled in, the empty spaces were then filled using clay. However, after I looked at the completed flight deck, I was unhappy with the overall color and replaced it with gray wool (replacement took about a half hour for anyone interested in time). Additionally, red stone torches were added to the outside borders of the landing lines, giving a little bit of red color to the landing strip. These changes completed the flight deck with the exception of the tower and other minor details.

With the flight deck mostly completed Delancey moved on to start addressing the curved portions of the hull while I moved on to the flight elevators in the lowered position. Using clay brick stairs, I put together what look like solid-looking gear teeth for the raising assembly of the elevator. I then used iron bars to add guide lines to the front of the elevator, adding a little bit to the overall look and feel.

Day two ends with the completion of the two elevators and a beginning to the front hull of the ship. Unfortunately, the carrier has so many curves going down the hull that this task proves to be complicated and will require some trial and error work over the next few days.

Day 3
Weekends are always busy around the house and with my mom visiting, that busy turned into chaotic. With chili cook-offs and church activities, my time in Minecraft was limited, but that does not mean progress was not made. Unfortunately, pictures are not yet available for Day 3....I mkind of forgot to take any...

Using the time I had, I decided to work on the most difficult part of the project at this point: the hull. Using a general guideline and a whole ton of try this and try that, I made some major progress on the port, starboard and forward end sides of the hull. Additionally, I laid out the initial keel of the boat and some other minor underwater portions of the ship.

I was also joined briefly by my buddy Chris Mrkvicka who dropped by to show me some patterns for jets to populate the aircraft carrier. The designs work well and will be added (with some minor tweaks here and there) after the ship has been completely assembled.

Day 3 ended with some major progress to the hull, a first draft of the lower level of the tower, a completed sealed storage deck door and some internal structuring of the storage deck completed.

comments