Mighty No. 9 was scheduled for release in two weeks, but an 11th hour change has disrupted those plans. The game will miss its latest launch date of February 9, and developer Comcept now does not have an estimated release window.

The developer broke the news to Kickstarter backers today pinning the blame on network and porting issues. The company says it is being forced to rewrite Unreal Engine 3 code, because the technology is no longer being supported. 

We’ve inquired with Epic whether Comcept has sought help from the Unreal Engine developer. We’ll update should we receive a response.

The resulting issues mean that this delay won’t be slight. Don’t expect Mighty No. 9 a couple of weeks late. “Because we are constantly working on it in cooperation with all our partners, we want to wait and make sure that everything is confirmed to be ready before giving a new specific release date,” writes Comcept founder Keiji Inafune. “But we expect it to realistically be in Spring 2016.”

This latest delay will likely push the delay to a full year later than originally promised. When the Kickstarter closed, Mighty No. 9 was supposed to be delivered in April 2015. After the last delay, Inafune reportedly promised there would be no additional hold-ups.

When the last delay happened, we broke the news that a change in retailer listings did correlate to a delay out last year. Comcept held the news until its second Kickstarter, the failed Red Ash campaign, was closed. At the time, Comcept simply said it needed more time for quality assurance. It did not mention problems with network code or porting.

Thanks to reader Chris Bartlett for the news tip.

[Source: Kickstarter

 

Our Take
Mighty No. 9 has become comedy of errors. At least this time, the developer came clean to backers without subterfuge. Delaying a game two weeks before release isn’t unheard of, but it is never a good sign.