Please support Game Informer. Print magazine subscriptions are less than $2 per issue

X
report

Report: Sony Decides Not To Hold Gamescom Press Conference

by Mike Futter on May 06, 2015 at 04:56 AM

Sony has reportedly opted to skip a press conference at one of the biggest gaming shows in the world. Last year, Gamescom played host to 335,000 individuals, 6,000 of whom were journalists from around the world. This year, Sony will not have a stage presence.

This doesn’t mean that Sony is skipping the show entirely, though. The company told GameSpot that it will have a significant presence at Paris Games week, which takes place in October.

Last year, Sony took the opportunity at Gamescom to reveal P.T. (the playable teaser for the ill-fated Silent Hills partnership between Guillermo del Toro and Hideo Kojima), Supermassive Games' Until Dawn, Ninja Theory’s Hellblade, plans for DayZ on PS4, and the Share Play feature. We’ve reached out to Sony for additional information and will update should we receive a response. 

[Source: GameSpot]

 

Our Take
Sony says it is looking at the later timing of E3 and the opportunity for a bigger marketing beat in October. Gamescom in August is the prologue to the fall season though, and this puts even more pressure on the platform holder to deliver big news for this fall next month in Los Angeles. We don’t know much about Sony’s fall lineup yet, and the schedule is looking a little thin.