The lights are on
Update: An EA representative has told Game Informer that some DICE LA employees are from the Danger Close team, which is located in the same EA Los Angeles building. With Medal of Honor taking some time off, other Danger Close staff members have moved on to other opportunities.
Today marks a big step for EA on its path to new games based on its newly acquired Star Wars license. The publisher has revealed that it's Stockholm-based DICE studio has opened up a Los Angeles office to work on the franchise.
Locating in southern California was no accident according to DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson. "It's no secret that our main competitor is there," he told the Wall Street Journal. This should certainly heat up the competition between Battlefield and its chief rival, Activision's titanic Call of Duty franchise.
For Troedsson, working on Star Wars titles is an exciting prospect. His studio shares the same level of anticipation. "People stood up and cheered, when I announced that we were working on Star Wars," he stated. Fans might be cheering along with them if DICE decides to expand on an existing franchise (Battlefront would make the most sense), a plan that is under consideration.
This news comes shortly after EA's annual financial results were released, along with word that Frostbite 3 was ready to support next-gen titles from BioWare, Visceral, and DICE (some of which we will see at E3). Last week, the studio revealed it had laid off 10 percent of its global workforce (approximately 900 people). At that time, inquiries regarding the allocation of those cost savings were met with coy responses. Opening a new studio and bringing in top-tier talent for one branch of the EA's Star Wars planning puts the operating expense picture for 2014 into clearer focus. EA also was clear that no Star Wars titles should be expected during fiscal year 2014, which ends on March 31, 2014.
[Source: Wall Street Journal via Joystiq]
Email the author Mike Futter, or follow on Google+, Twitter, and Game Informer.
Just imagine guys, you're a Rebel fighting in the ruins of Yavin 4 while the ruined buildings are being battered by Storm Trooper canon fire. The ruins around you crumble as the overwhelming sound of laser fire and builders breaking around you. Then you run and avoid the explosive fire from Imperial tanks while you're capturing a command post. Then, out of no where, you see a Storm Trooper teabag your buddy. You're in an online match.
All this is well and good, but if KOTOR 3 is not made, heads are going to roll.
Knowing that a DICE branch is potentially going to make Battlefront 3 on Frostbite 3 is VERY good news!
Battlefront 3 with PS4 level graphics O_o
I can also see them doing Republic Commando 2, which I'd also be really excited for. It seems a lot more like DICE's style.
I beg of you...DOOOO ITTTTTT
If EA really wants to get one over on Activision then doing a Star Wars game would really put the ball in their court.Especially if it's Battlefront 3 or Republic Commando 2.
Good news! Hazah!Battlefront 3, or Republic Cammando 2, please?
This makes me so horny I could just crap in my pants where I sit.
Yay!! I know most people hate EA, but I hope some more quality Star Wars games (and others) will help change their opinions for the better.
Remember folks! EA CAN get better! So don't write them off just yet!
I've been hoping DICE would do this for a long time, glad to see it may come true.
All we can do is hope that it is good.
EA, this is your chance to cripple if not topple COD. Don't mess it up.