The lights are on
Update: An EA representative has told Game Informer that some DICE LA employees are from the Danger Close team, which is located in the same EA Los Angeles building. With Medal of Honor taking some time off, other Danger Close staff members have moved on to other opportunities.
Today marks a big step for EA on its path to new games based on its newly acquired Star Wars license. The publisher has revealed that it's Stockholm-based DICE studio has opened up a Los Angeles office to work on the franchise.
Locating in southern California was no accident according to DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson. "It's no secret that our main competitor is there," he told the Wall Street Journal. This should certainly heat up the competition between Battlefield and its chief rival, Activision's titanic Call of Duty franchise.
For Troedsson, working on Star Wars titles is an exciting prospect. His studio shares the same level of anticipation. "People stood up and cheered, when I announced that we were working on Star Wars," he stated. Fans might be cheering along with them if DICE decides to expand on an existing franchise (Battlefront would make the most sense), a plan that is under consideration.
This news comes shortly after EA's annual financial results were released, along with word that Frostbite 3 was ready to support next-gen titles from BioWare, Visceral, and DICE (some of which we will see at E3). Last week, the studio revealed it had laid off 10 percent of its global workforce (approximately 900 people). At that time, inquiries regarding the allocation of those cost savings were met with coy responses. Opening a new studio and bringing in top-tier talent for one branch of the EA's Star Wars planning puts the operating expense picture for 2014 into clearer focus. EA also was clear that no Star Wars titles should be expected during fiscal year 2014, which ends on March 31, 2014.
[Source: Wall Street Journal via Joystiq]
Email the author Mike Futter, or follow on Google+, Twitter, and Game Informer.
Battlefront 3 please from DICE Sweden!
Um, GI, they've already confirmed they put the resources into R&D. Oh where did I put that link....
a real solid story based action/rpg single player game is something i'm hoping for
I wonder if EA even knows anybody wants another Battlefront.
So if they're opening up a new studio and bringing in new talent/moving talent from some other less successful teams, it isn't really DICE. They're essentially just leveraging the name. Keep your expectations low, people.
Battlefront 3 here we come =]
Well seeing as how the new studio is actually being partially made up of people from the Danger Close team I will have to reserve my judgment a little bit. Their games were okay but nothing too impressive. Hopefully they can step up to the plate and surprise us all, I still hope the game they are making is Battlefront 3.
I think if Battlefront 3 has a chance at being successful, It needs to be redone from the ground up. I saw the so called "99% completed game" and to be honest, it didn't look good by today's standards. Dice has amazing potential to bring a breath of fresh air to the world of shooters, and this is coming from someone who does not like battlefield. Lately, games that are unfinished and move to another developer haven't seemed to workout. I just hope that DICE and EA don't let the peer pressure and quick dollar signs lead Battlefront down the path of the darkside.
P.S. Visceral Games needs to make a Death Troopers game.
YES! EA isn't my favorite company, but DICE and Bioware seem like logical places for new Starwars games. Hopefully Bioware can learn from Swotor and just make Kotor3 instead of some extremely ridiculously expensive MMO.
i know DICE can do a good job with the battlefront series, i just hope it dosent loose the "starwars" feel
I just hope third person stays in the game.
I really hope DICE LA doesn't suck.
EA is not known for effectively expanding their studios. I mean, just two years ago they slapped the Bioware name on about a dozen undeserving studios - remember how they originally marketed Command & Conquer as coming from Bioware? When really it was Victory - the same studio that has done the last few recent C&C games? Just stupid. Now we hear that there are Danger Close guys at DICE LA? Jeez louise... it already sounds like another example of trying to erase bad memories with a rebranding, and watering down said brand in the process. Way to learn from your mistakes, EA.
Let's just hope that some ACTUAL DICE employees - heck, I'll take some ex-KAOS guys too (as KAOS was comprised of ex-DICE guys from their ACTUAL US studio back in the day) - are there to steer the Danger Close employees in the right direction.
Awesome. Glad to hear it!
as long as its more like battlefield and less like medal of honor i wont mind
At least they'll know what they're doing, shooter wise.