The lights are on
Today brought the sad news that venerated English actor Bob Hoskins, who had appeared in the Super Mario Bros. movie as wells as more acclaimed films like The Long Good Friday, has died. In this feature, we look back at some of the other critically respected actors who have appeared in video game movies.
20. Robert Patrick - Double Dragon (1994), Red Factions Origins (2011)Robert Patrick isn't a household name but he's one of his generation's great character actors, best known for his role as the remorseless T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. He's also put in strong performances in smaller roles in Die Hard 2, Cop Land, and the television series The Sopranos and The X-Files. While his video game work probably won't be on his list of career achievements, he did play major roles in the little-remembered game adaptations Double Dragon and Red Faction: Origins on the SyFy Channel.
19. Jon Voight - Lara Croft - Tomb Raider (2001)Voight is best known in recent years for being the father of Angelina Jolie and his often-erratic behavior, but starting with his breakout role in 1969's Midnight Cowboy, he earned many accolades for his roles throughout the '70s and '80s, earning one Academy Award and four Golden Globes, and many more nominations. During a time when he must have had better relations with Jolie, he appeared alongside his daughter in the successful Tomb Raider - Lara Croft.
18. David Suchet - Wing Commander (1999)While not a household name, David Suchet is a respected British actor of film, stage, and television. He's well-known across the pond for his role as Hercule Poroit in the UK TV series Agatha Christie's Poroit. He also earned awards for his part in the miniseries The Way We Live Now. However, these accolades didn't stop him from making the mistake of appearing in Wing Commander, the sub-par adaptation of Chris Robert's space combat game. Maybe he couldn't resist the good chance to work with Freddy Prinze, Jr.?
17. J.K. Simmons - PostalYou might not know J.K. Simmons by name, but there's no doubt you've seen him in one of his dozens of strong character roles in film and on television. Simmons is generally cast as an avuncular, fatherly type, but also excelled in angrier roles like J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man films. Since a standout role in Juno, he's had a higher profile, and currently has his own sit-com Growing Up Fischer. No matter how many films he does, we'll always know which one was worst: his appearance Uwe Boll's horrifically bad Postal.
16. Djimon Hounsou - Lara Croft Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life (2003)Djimon Hounsou's breakout role was as an African slave in Amistad, and has earned acclaim for appearances in movies like Blood Diamond. He also made a stop into the world of game movies with a role in the Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life, the second in the short-lived film franchise.
Email the author Matt Helgeson, or follow on Twitter, and Game Informer.